Thursday, May 1, 2008

Isometric Training

Isometric Training- Fact Or Muscle Building Hoax? Part 1

I get tired of reading in bodybuilding forums about Isometric training and how they, these "internet experts" believe it doesn't work. They never offer up any facts or proof, just their opinion. Which they proudly pronounce it as if it were GOD's word!

Well, folks, here are the facts read em and weep OR get excited!

I would like you to take a moment to read this entire article; this is not some rehash of the same subject. In this article, I will break it down for you and give you all the facts.

Isometric Training In Space

Here's a short snip from an article published by NASA-

"Strength training, says Fitts, involves two different types of resistance exercises: high-intensity isotonic, which shortens and lengthens muscles (for example, lifting and lowering a dumbbell), and isometrics, which fully contracts muscles without movement (for example, pushing against a doorway). Both types of exercise could potentially reduce muscle atrophy in microgravity. Fitts' experiments with rats, however, suggest that isometrics may protect slow fibers better than isotonic because slow fibers develop very little force during relatively fast isotonic motions."

Hmm, sounds to me like the boys in space are using what works to build strength.

Isometric Training On Earth

Oh, wait here's another one for the ladies, just in case you thought the Isometric training was just for men. This a small part of an interview with Jane Seymour the actress regarding how she stays in incredible shape.

"Lifetime: What is your exercise of choice these days?

Seymour: Isometrics. I used to throw my back out often. A couple of years ago, it got so bad that I couldn't move. It turned out I had a herniated disc. That's the kind of injury you expect to see in a linebacker in the Super Bowl, not in a woman who weighs 115 pounds. I had to have surgery. My doctor recommended isometrics to help my recovery, so I've been doing it for two years." With isometrics, you have to focus on your body's alignment and engaging the muscles. I get more out of isometrics than crunches. It has given me really strong stomach muscles, and I have a longer, leaner look than before.

I really wasn't concentrating on looking good with isometrics — that was just a by-product.

The main thing is that it has helped with my back pain. I don't need a chiropractor or a masseuse."

I guess Isometric training is being used for rehabilitation. But, then what do doctors know!

In Part 2 I will reveal what Olympic Teams thru out the world think about Isometric Training

No comments: